Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Eraserhead

Watched this yoinks ago and can't make head or tail out of it. Now that I'm older and wiser, I can feel the impending ominous dread prevading the entire film, which works like a bad trip or a picturised nightmare. I guess the underlying theme is the fear of fatherhood and marital life. My DVD also comes with a calibration program which makes the film infinitely more creepy than had I watched it with my settings. I chose to buy this over the similar in format Visitor Q (Takashi Miike), which from the reviews, makes me not keen to watch a cow-man hybrid and some dude drinking milk from a mature woman's breast.

This is Spinal Tap

Hardly as funny as I remembered. The argument over the cover of "Smell the Glove" is still fresh in my mind. The comedy is a bit too self-conscious. Adding some anarchic flavour to the proceedings would have made it more worthwhile but I guess Bad News have already done that. The songs are still catchy as hell and the lyrics funny, if a little obvious. The scene where Nigel Tufnel is showing off his guitar and amps to Marty Di Bergi is still priceless, though. "Don't touch it, don't even point at it". FYI, Marshall did issue amps in the early Nineties that go all the way to 11. (For that extra gain and boost, I suppose).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home