Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Miles Davis - On the Corner

I take it that this is his most controversial album, with both lovers and haters actively on either side of the fence. Well, I got it and heck, I like it even better than Bitches Brew, as it takes the hypnotic groove of that seminal album to its logical extremes. Don't hear much of Stockhausen here, as this seems like a precursor to electronica with a strong emphasis on proto-Goan trance. I love this. 10 out of 10.

Ultravox! - The Island Years

I have always ranted and raved about the John Foxx-era Ultravox! despite only hearing a few songs. Well, this one encapsulates all the best songs. The first album's stuff sound a lot like Roxy Music with some Velvet Underground thrown in ("My Sex" is a lot like "The Gift"). The later stuff are brilliant, though, and you can definitely hear its influence on OMD, Human League and Depeche Mode. Best song -Hiroshima Mon Amour (really disliked the movie, though, except for the opening montage).

Marc Bolan & T-Rex - The Essential Collection

Got this just to replace my worn-out cassette comp. Brilliant as always. Has some Tyrannosaurus Rex songs albeit the electrified ones ("King of the Rumbling Spires", "By the light of the Magical Moon" and the acoustic "Debora") which are serviceable. "Ride a White Swan" and "Hot Love" (which Jesus & Mary Chain ripped off with "Never Understand") are effin' A, as I haven't heard them b4. "I've been dancing since I was 12".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home