Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Greatest Hits

Not much a fan of Southern Rock in general, but this is rather okay. Only has two duds - "What's Your Name?" and "You Got That Right", which are pretty rote blues boogies. And I finally get to listen to the full solo coda to "Free Bird", which is nothing great, compared to "Hotel California"'s solo coda, this is just pointless noodling. And the 3-guitar set-up is hardly utilised to full effect, I can pretty much play everything here on a single guitar, except maybe for the riff to "Sweet Home Alabama", which I never could play properly.

The Very Best of Marvin Gaye

Mainly got this because I have a soft spot for "Wherever I Lay my Hat (That's my Home)". Pretty disappointed it's not done in the slow soul manner like Paul Young's version, but pretty much a routine Motown number. This comp has a lot of Tammi Terell and Diana Ross duets which I don't have. All the songs here are pretty great, except for that number from "Here My Dear", which I hear is a pretty dire album anyway. Great!

AC/DC - Iron Man 2

Not so much a greatest hits but more of a highlights album from their warmest received albums. The songs that work the best are those riffs with some space between the powerchords, like "Highway to Hell" and "Back in Black". Otherwise, it sounds pretty close to Free, exception being "Thunderstruck" which sounds a lot like Iron Maiden but is fantastic, anyway. I also dislike "Let There Be Rock" cos the drums aren't miked properly and the bassline sucks. Should have just used a single-note bassline like in "War Machine" (off "Black Ice"), which is awesome. This is the only other AC/DC album I have, besides "Back in Black". Anti-Christ/Devil's Children, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home