Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Hollies - Midas Touch : The Very Best of the Hollies

Mostly got this due to sTeVe's fascination with them. The classic songs (64-67) are really good, very sharp hooks and the lyrics being idiosyncratic enough to distinguish them from the other British Invasion groups out there. I also really like the psychedelic-era songs like "King Midas in Reverse" and "Dear Eloise". After that, it's pretty hit or miss, although "Air That I Breathe" is awesome, and "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" a pretty nice CCR pastiche. Never really liked "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and still don't. The post-1979 songs are horrendous as are the Peter Howarth-sung ones. The latest song "Then Now and Always" is pretty ok, though. Nice!

The Very Best of Rainbow

Continuing my dalliance with Dio after his death. The Dio songs here aren't really that good, I only liked the power ballad "Catch the Rainbow". "Gates of Babylon" pioneered the synth-metal template he would later expand in his solo band. Problem is, less than half the songs here are from the Dio era. When I got to the Graham Bonnett songs, that was still okay - nice cock-rock in a KISS-style cocksure swagger. But when I got to Joe Lynn Turner - it was ARGGGGHHHHH!!!! I'd rather eat Brian Burks' knob-cheese than listen to this shite - only one song is bearable -"Jealous Lover" which has a cool riff. The rest are somewhere between Europe and Foreigner, both I really hate. Worst comp I ever bought.

The Undertones - Positive Touch/The Sin of Pride (2 CD twofer for the price of one)

Got this mainly because some people said "Positive Touch" is good. For me, I find it a tad over-produced and the psychedelic leanings not really that interesting, would have been better if they made it a straight jangle-pop album. Also, I find the stripped-down demos (bonus tracks) of songs like "Julie Ocean" to be much better than their "official" versions. I have to concede to the fact that, however, the hooks aren't immediately accessible, unlike their debut album, and repeated listenings will probaly make this album a grower.

"The Sin of Pride" - now this is more up my alley. An affectionate tribute to 60's Motown soul and organ-based pop-rock such as from 60s Traffic, they went back to writing sharp hooks and very catchy melodies. Sorry, but I like this more than "Positive Touch".

Daniel Johnston - Continued Story/Hi How Are You

"Continued Story" is not really that interesting - it has a lot of spit and polish, which is what I don't need from Daniel Johnston. Best song here is the acappella "Dem Blues". Otherwise, there's just too much tinkering from other competent musicians that spoil Johnston's magical brew. Though I do like that song with the Texas Instruments computer drumbeat (name escapes my mind at the mo').

"Hi How Are You" - now this is more like it - best songs here, though, are the accordion-based songs - "Big Monkey Business" and "Walking The Cow" - which have good melodies and interesting song structures. Another noteworthy song is "Despair Came Knocking", the two-note chords sent shivers up my spine. Otherwise, some songs sound worse than me dicking around when high or mad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home