Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Got eleven DVDs yesterday, these are the two I watched first:-

Be Kind, Rewind

Played for less than a week in the cinemas here. Easy to see why. This kind of gentle, small-town humour can't be easily appreciated by third world mentalities. Hey! Where's the slapstick and the fart jokes? It takes a while to settle in, but this is generally hilarious and the jokes are original and not so obvious. The sentimentality can be a bit cloying. And oh yeah, who wants VHS in this day and age anyway? Jack Black and Mos Def has an interesting chemistry. Makes me want to swede a movie myself, really.

Hearts of Darkness

This is the most excellent "making of" documentary I have seen. The highpoints are the complete shots of Martin Sheen's drunken breakdown which makes him entirely easy to sympathise with, and the final shots involving Brando and Hopper. Which are intriguing, as I didn't know they were improvised and that Brando and Hopper's frame of mind at that time weren't that far removed from their on-screen personas', as the snippets here reveal. The building and rebuilding of the temple and those setting up of the helicopter shots also sound really laborious. I think this is the only "making of" which is a bit more interesting than the actual product, good as "Apocalypse Now" may be. My copy also comes with a "making of" the movie "Youth of Youth" which I'm not really interested in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home