Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Was quite slow when I came back from my gf's pad. So watched these two:-

The Cat Returns (2002)

A follow-up to the fantasy story in "Whisper of the Heart". A bit too short for my liking, although this does give it a brisk pace. Given that I'm a cat person, I no doubt found this fascinating, especially the bipedal cats in black suits. Set at a frenetic speed that never lets up, it is however strangely hollow. Some morality about being true to yourself gets bandied about but never fully utilised.

Grave of the Fireflies

Supposedly critically acclaimed, I found this one downright depressing. How could it not be when the main character dies in the first five minutes? And it's all death dying dead. Set during World War 2, this one tells of a young man's struggles to nourish his sister amidst bomb raids and a bitchy relative. Hardly the thing to watch while you're down. And all the while I'm watching this, I have images of Jews being dissected on those slabs in Auschwitz. So there, you Axis motherfuckers! No love or pity from me at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home