Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Portishead - Roseland NYC Live

Didn't get this the first time cos hated the second album. But it's not too bad. If Gibbons and Co. stuck to the analogue basics, without drum machines or samples, and with warm strings and horns, this would have been an excellent album, As such, only "All Mine" and "Sour Times" are completely analogue. The rest sounds too much like the studio versions. Highlight is the crescendo of "Sour Times". Nobody loves me, I know, not like you do......

Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Shaka Zulu

A replacement for my fungus-infected cassette. Not their best sure, but their best-recorded, probably. The warmth and depth of their voices are so deep it gives me a sense of complete well-being. The arrangements aren't as good as their other albums, and the English songs sound a bit inexact and simple. The Zulu songs are great, though, and "At Golgotha" makes me shed tears (Golgotha or "The Place of the Skulls" was the crucifixion site of Christ).

Weather Report - Collections

Half-listened to this. I wanted so much for this to be a lullaby but there's too much going on. Can see where Jaco's big-band aspirations came from, with "Birdland" being a swaying horny big-band arrangement, with repeated motifs. Otherwise, more wankery from Jaco on "Teen Town" which I love. I have also have a double album called "The Collection" with one or two track repeats, which I didn't like at first. It's growing on me, though. Any thoughts, Matt? This is your arena after all.

Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Half-listened as well. Generally less bombastic than "Takk". More diversity and electicism. "Festival" seems to go back to "Agaetis Byrjyn" even if there's a brassy coda. Definitely losing their indie skin and aiming for a wider audience. Haven't heard the English track yet - "All Alright".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home