Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Solaris (1972)

I'd think if there was any good way for intelligent life to make contact with us, they'd do it it like they did here, making for a very palpable scenario. Atmospheric and laden with meaning, I'd say that this is very intelligent sci-fi. However, something bugs me about the way Kelvin sent his encephalograms to the Solaris Ocean thereby erasing the need for memories to sustain him. Just doesn't make sense - present wipes past, conscious eliminates unconcious? Cool twist ending, though. Two thumbs up!

There Will Be Blood

Is there any more a blacker depiction of capitalism? I had the choice to exchange this for another when the first copy I got didn't work but nah, too caught up with the sub-plot of the money-hungry pastor so I got a second copy. However many shots at redemption there is, he just doesn't take it and I kinda admire him for that. There's a great sense of bleak honesty to the character of Daniel Plainview that other films just won't protray. He's not necessarily evil, just the sorta person that is needed for the kinda work that there is and also the times. Hah! I drink your milkshake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home