Diary of a Schizophrenic

A madman's diary.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Mainly got this on people on Music Babble's (the chat forum message board I go to) recommendations:-

Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram

Quite a nice idyllic collection of songs that are quite diverse in nature. Probably this is the most Beatles-esque sounding of the three and some of the songs here could easily fit on Abbey Road. Not hard to see why it's such a favourite amongst the Babble people, the songcraft is sterling, the musicianship consistently solid and lacks the schmaltz that plagues most Macca solo albums (although I do love his schmaltz).

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

Stark, rivetting, almost repetitive exorcism of John's ghosts. What I find most appealing about this album is that it is resonant and actually evokes some feelings from the listener, even if one is as world-weary of music as me. Then again, the bonus tracks, "Power to the People" and its b-side, are totally unnecessary and rips apart the feelings generated by the last track "My Mummy's Dead". Poor packaging aside, the new mix and remastering sound vibrant, as I do have the original mixes of some songs on mp3.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run

Heard this when I was a teenager and totally hated it, cos I was so into Pipes of Peace then. After countless listens to Beatles albums, though, this one stands up to his best work with Lennon. As I have said before, "Jet" is a complete comedown after the gorgeous title track. I wished he had sequenced either "Bluebird" or "Mamunia" next. I have the US version and this contains "Helen Wheels", a B-Side, which is absolutely fantastic. Unlike Yoko's repackaging of Lennon solo, Macca re-releases have more thought put into the addition of bonus tracks, evident on "Ram" as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home